Monday, January 18, 2010

45 minute intruder: I give in

I need to write down what I have decided so that I can read it and remember what I have decided!

I have decided to “give in” to what Jamison needs rather than my agenda and ideas of perfection. Don’t misunderstand me; by “giving in” I don’t mean giving up or even letting him call the shots. What I mean is I finally am going to let go of my agonizing over the perfect nap (you know, longer than an hour) and have decided that if 45 minutes was all he needed per nap, that was fine. I put him down at my choice of time, not his, which I figured out by using sleepy cues, attitude/behavior cues, and common sense. He will stay in his crib until I decide naptime was over (which again, will be a reasonable amount of time). I will always give him an hour and a half to “sleep.” I presented the opportunity. Whether or not (or how much) he sleeps, the opportunity was there. I will assist him as much as I can.

What am I still learning from this?

  1. I cannot make him sleep. I can only give him the best circumstances, good timing and judgement on my part, and not provide props that would make it difficult for him if I wasn’t there.
  2. How do I make good judgements, have good timing, and make wise decisions? Lots of practice, and more importantly, lots of errors. I am not going to be afraid to make mistakes. I am hoping that if I pay attention and still make mistakes that this will help me discover more about my baby.
  3. I can’t make him sleep, but I can help him learn to rest. Even laying/sitting in a crib is more relaxing than even sitting on the couch talking to me.
  4. When he won’t sleep, I can help him learn to be content. By waiting for him to get a happy heart (and until I get the chance) before I get him up from a nap, he’s learned to talk, play, and wait happily until it’s time to get up. I don't expect this to happen over night or without tears.
  5. I’m not going to feel guilty about not “rescuing” him immediately, not entertaining him, and about not being able to figure out why he naps or doesn’t nap.
  6. I need to be reminded that I’m human, I’m doing the best I know to do, and most likely this stage is giving me skills I need for other circumstances in life.
  7. Not sleeping well is not always a reflection of my parenting skills. Maybe since he doesn’t nap long, we will have lots of time to practice behavior and focusing skills. :)
  8. Sleep is just the beginning. I spend so much time worried about possible solutions and lack of long naps. But I know in my heart that it is not worth the stress. It may or may not (*gasp*) get better. And the better may be months down the road. But I will deal with it now, do the best with what I know, stick to my goals, seek guidance, and won't give up. Instead of letting the stress and worry eat me up and make me “obsessed,” (which, as my husband can probably testify to, I can be at times) let it make me better.
Sleep isn’t my only goal in Jamison's life, and nor should I place that much importance on that one issue. It’s important, but not the only thing that is important. That may seem like an obvious statement. But I say that because though in my head I know that sleep isn’t the only important thing, I sure act like it sometimes. And I don't want to let rough naps take attention away from a precious time as a first time mum.

Having kids that sleep well doesn’t make me a good mum, and being a good mum doesn’t mean I will have babies that sleep well.

5 comments:

  1. You've done very well to come to this point with your first. Kez was the same as your little guy and I got so frustrated right up until she started one sleep a day and slept better. Lucinda is on one sleep a day and goes for a min f 40 mins (in the whole day) and a max of 1.5 hrs. I was much faster to accept this, mainly because she's so different to Kezi and I think I just went with the flow. (PS. this links to my old blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda. I know it in my head, but whether I follow through with it is another story! So hard and I do question myself and get frazzled, but just try to stop, pray and read this entry! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horray for you Heidi! I literally cheered you on when I read this - you have discovered the truth - you CANNOT make babies sleep despite what the books say! My one major criticism of Babywise has always been the chapter on the '45 minute intruder' because I was the same as you with Braedon - I often could not get him to sleep past the 45 minute mark despite so much effort on my part and it nearly made me go insane thinking I was doing something wrong! I think they should rename the chapter 'the 45 minute natural sleep cycle' because it IS natural for babies to wake after 45 minutes - they ALL do it so God must have made them that way! Good for you - you are setting Jamison up for great sleep habits later on and I'm sure that he'll be napping longer when his little body decides it needs more sleep. He's a lucky boy to have such a wonderful, thoughtful mummy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the "45 minute intruder" is related to hunger issues. You might try an eat-wake-eat-sleep schedule to fill us the belly and keep up your milk supply. That worked well with one of mine, when I was BWing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tulip Girl - how did that go with sleeping at night - did that sort of cycle during the day make night times any different?? I never thought to add feeds just before a sleep. I have heard of it as a temporary measure to build up milk supply.

    ReplyDelete